- Announce release intent on #minikube
- Pause merge requests so that they are not accidentally left out of the ISO or release notes
- Two minikube repos checked out locally:
- Your personal fork
Build a new ISO
- All non-patch releases require a new ISO to be built.
- Patch releases (vx.x.1+) require a new ISO if the
deploy/isodirectory has seen changes since the previous release.
Update Release Notes
Run the following script from your local upstream repo copy to generate updated release notes:
Paste the output into CHANGELOG.md, sorting changes by importance to an end-user. If there are >8 changes, split them into Improvements and Bug fixes
- The changelog should only contain user facing change. This means removing PR’s for:
- Low-risk refactors
- Test-only changes
- Remove bots from the contributor list
- Remove duplicated similar names from the contributor list
You may merge this PR at any time, or combine it with a
Makefile update PR.
Update the version numbers in
- beta releases use:
- major/minor releases use:
- if the ISO was updated, a patch release may use
- beta releases use:
WarningMerge this PR only if all non-experimental integration tests pass!
Tag the Release
sh hack/tag_release.sh 1.<minor>.<patch>
Build the Release
This step uses the git tag to publish new binaries to GCS and create a github release:
- Navigate to the minikube “Release” jenkins job
- Ensure that you are logged in (top right)
- Click “▶️ Build with Parameters” (left)
VERSION_BUILDshould reflect the values in your Makefile
gsutil cat gs://minikube/iso/minikube-v<version>.iso.sha256
- Click Build
Check the release logs
After job completion, click “Console Output” to verify that the release completed without errors. This is typically where one will see brew automation fail, for instance.
Note: If you are releasing a beta, you are done when you get here.
This file is used for auto-update notifications, but is not active until releases.json is copied to GCS.
minikube-bot will send out a PR to update the release checksums at the top of
deploy/minikube/releases.json. You should merge this PR.
Package managers which include minikube
These are downstream packages that are being maintained by others and how to upgrade them to make sure they have the latest versions
|Arch Linux AUR||https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/minikube-bin/||“Flag as package out-of-date”|
|Brew Cask||https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-cask/tree/master/Casks||The release job creates a new PR in Homebrew/homebrew-cask with an updated version and SHA256, double check that it’s created.|
WARNING: The Brew cask automation is error-prone. please ensure that a PR was created.
Verify release checksums by running
If there are major changes, please send a PR to update https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/learning-environment/minikube/
Please mention the new release https://github.com/kubernetes/minikube/blob/master/README.md
- #minikube on Slack
- minikube-dev, minikube-users mailing list
- Twitter (optional!)