The primary goal of minikube is to make it simple to run Kubernetes locally, for day-to-day development workflows and learning purposes. Here are the guiding principles for minikube, in rough priority order:
- Inclusive and community-driven
- Support all Kubernetes features
- High Performance
- Developer Focused
Here are some specific minikube features that align with our goal:
- Single command setup and teardown UX
- Support for local storage, networking, auto-scaling, load balancing, etc.
- Unified UX across operating systems
- Minimal dependencies on third party software
- Minimal resource overhead
- Simplifying Kubernetes production deployment experience
- Supporting all possible deployment configurations of Kubernetes like various types of storage, networking, etc.